Hobart IronMan 240 is a dedicated MIG welder for professionals, hobbyists, and small fabricators. The welder features infinite voltage and wire feed control, ensuring a smooth and stable arc at all welding thicknesses and operating on a 30–280A welding amp range. Hobart 240 is suitable for MIG (GMAW) and flux-cored (FCAW) Welding processes. The welder is easy to set and adjust for different materials, including mild steel, stainless steel, and aluminum, and can weld a wide range of thicknesses.
The Handler IronMan 240 is built with quality and durability and is Hobart’s most popular MIG welder. This is a highly versatile and perfect professional welder for working on maintenance/ repair, construction, manufacturing, auto body, projects of the farm, and art projects. Users’ feedback is very positive and encouraging, and Hobart’s 5/3/1 industrial warranty ensures quality and reliable welders that do not disappoint.
Consider the following before purchasing Hobart IronMan 240 MIG Welder
Hobart IronMan 240 works on the input power of 208~240 volts with a welding amperage range of 30A to 280A, making it appropriate for performing a wide range of industrial tasks from minor repair works to large-scale welding projects.
Duty cycle means the percentage of 10 minutes that the unit can weld at rated load without overheating. Hobart IronMan 240 has a 60% Duty Cycle at 200 amperes, which means you can weld for 6 minutes and rest the machine for 4 minutes. The welder has a 40% Duty Cycle at 250 amperes, which means you can weld for 4 minutes and rest the machine for 6 minutes. Evaluate your need and understand this feature before making your decision.
The thickness of the metal
Clarity on the thickness of the metals to be welded is essential to select the correct welder. Both minimum and maximum output current are crucial. Minimum current indicates the minimum thickness you can weld, and maximum current indicates the maximum thickness you can weld. The thickness to current relation also depends on the material and joint configuration. Hobart IronMan 240 welding current range is 30 – 280 amperes, so consider this when you make your selection.
Weight and portability
Portability becomes vital if you plan to use it in more than one place (like home and workshop). Hobart IronMan 240 is a heavy welder weighing 186 pounds. The size of the machine is 30ʺ×19 ʺ×40 inches which reduce its mobility and portability. However, you may keep it on a suitable carriage with wheels to makes it more portable.
Warranty is another critical factor to consider. Hobart offers a 5/3/1 industrial warranty, a Five-year warranty on transformers, stabilizers, and main rectifiers, three years on generators, PC boards, and drive systems, and one year on guns.
• Welding amperage ranges 30-280 amperes, and the rated duty cycle is 60% at 200 amperes and 24 VDC, increasing productivity with more extended welding periods.
• Wire feed speed 50-700 inches per minute.
• You can use this welder to weld 24 gauge to 1/2ʺ thick of mild steel.
• Capable of welding steel, stainless steel, and aluminum.
• Suitable for MIG (GMAW) and flux-cored (FCAW) Welding processes.
• This welder is built with an industrial drive system and a heavy-duty work clamp, and its performance is comparable with an industrial MIG welder.
• Easy, quick, and convenient polarity changeover between MIG and flux-cored wire.
• Self-resetting thermal overload protection (protects power transformer from thermal overload to provide you maximum reliability).
• Infinite voltage and wire feed control selector.
• The welder has a hinged door that gives easy access to the wire drive system.
• The welder comes with a storage cabinet to store spare tips, nozzles, and drive rolls.
• It comes with built-in running gear and a cylinder rack to store the cylinder, making the welder less bulky.
• It comes with a built-in cooling fan to reduce power consumption and enhance welder cooling.
• Quality and reliable product, IronMan 240 is one of the most durable, reliable, and high-performing welders in the market.
• The welder is designed, assembled, and supported in Troy, Ohio, USA.
• Hobart 5/3/1 industrial warranty, the welder is designed to last for an extended period.
• The machine is built with overload protection.
• The machine comes with all necessary accessories and is ready to use.
• Easy to set and adjust for different materials and thicknesses.
• The welder is suitable for MIG and flux-cored Welding.
• Costlier for beginners and hobbyists.
• This is not a multi-process welder.
• Heavy welder, which reduces its mobility and portability. However, you may keep it on a suitable carriage with wheels to makes it more portable.
Items received with the welder
• 1× MIG gun with 15 feet cable.
• 1× Work clamp with 10 feet cable.
• Power cord with plug.
• 1× Flow gauge and dual gauge regulator with 5 feet gas hose.
• 0.03 & 0.035-inch contact tips.
• Dual-groove 0.030/0.035 drive roll.
• Built-in running gear/cylinder rack
• Owner’s manual.
Hobart IronMan 240 Welder Specification
|Have sales and service in the USA||
Hobart IronMan 240 MIG Welder
208 V/240 V – Single Phase
200 A at 24 VDC, 60% duty cycle
30 – 280 amperes.
|Wire feed speed||
50-700 inches per minute.
|The capability of running the wires||
0.023ʺ-0.045ʺ (0.6-1.2 mm) mild steel or stainless steel, 0.03ʺ-0.045ʺ (0.8-1.2 mm) flux cored, and 0.03ʺ-0.047ʺ (0.8-1.2 mm) aluminum.
Mild steel 24 gauge-1/2 inch.
Aluminum, stainless steel, and steel.
|Size and Weight||
30ʺ×19 ʺ×40ʺ and 186 pounds.
Hobart IronMan 230 vs. Hobart IronMan 240
We can say that Hobart IronMan 240 is the new release version of the discontinued welder Hobart IronMan 230. Hobart IronMan 230 is a MIG welder for professionals with extraordinary features and options precisely as Hobart 240 with minor upgrades that came with the new version. The minor differences are as follow:
Hobart IronMan 230 MIG Welder
Input voltage(V): 200 V/230 V – Single Phase.
Rated output: 175 A at 25.5 VDC, 60% duty cycle.
Amperage range: 30 – 250 amperes.
Wire feed speed: 0-700 inches per minute.
The capability of running the wires: 0.023ʺ-0.035ʺ (0.6-0.9 mm) mild steel or stainless steel, 0.03ʺ-0.045ʺ (0.8-1.2 mm) flux cored, and 0.03ʺ-0.035ʺ (0.8-0.9 mm) aluminum.
Twelve position voltage control selector.
Size and Weight: 32ʺ×18-7/8 ʺ×37ʺ and 185 pounds.
Hobart IronMan 240 MIG Welder
Input voltage(V): 208 V/240 V – Single Phase.
Rated output: 200 A at 24 VDC, 60% duty cycle.
Amperage range: 30 – 280 amperes.
Wire feed speed: 50-700 inches per minute.
The capability of running the wires: 0.023ʺ-0.045ʺ (0.6-1.2 mm) mild steel or stainless steel, 0.03ʺ-0.045ʺ (0.8-1.2 mm) flux cored, and 0.03ʺ-0.047ʺ (0.8-1.2 mm) aluminum.
Infinite voltage and wire feed control.
Size and Weight: 32ʺ×18-7/8 ʺ×37ʺ and 185 pounds.
Frequently asked questions
What are the metals that can be welded using a Hobart IronMan 240 welder?
Typically, you can use your Hobart IronMan 240 welder for welding steel, stainless steel, and aluminum, and the thickness can be 24 gauge to the 1/2 inch thickness for mild steel.
Can I use Hobart IronMan 240 for outdoor work?
No, it is not advisable to use any MIG welder for outdoor work. The turbulence in the surrounding air disturbs the shielding gas, and welding quality will be bad. However, you can use the welder with flux-cored wire (without shielding gas), which can be used for outdoor work.
What is the current type used in Hobart IronMan 240?
Usually, the current used in MIG welding is DC (direct current), as AC (alternating current) is not generally preferred for MIG welding. Direct Current Electrode Positive (DCEP) is used for solid steel, stainless steel, aluminum, or flux core with gas wires (GMAW). Direct Current Electrode Negative (DCEN) is used for gasless flux core wires (FCAW).
Is Hobart IronMan 240 a multi-process welder or only MIG?
Hobart IronMan 240 is a dedicated MIG/ flux core welder. Generally, multi-process welders are strong in one primary welding process with more features, followed by a secondary welding process with comparatively fewer features. However, still, the multi-process welder will not be as reliable as the dedicated machines.
YesWelder Digital MIG-Pro 250 is a medium-budget MIG welder (under USD 1000) for hobbyist and semi-professional welders. YesWelder MIG-Pro 250 is a multi-process welder that includes MIG, MAG, Flux Core, Arc, and Lift-TIG welding processes. The welder offers enormous power paired with a reasonable duty cycle with dual voltage 220 V/480 V output and amperage range for MIG of 40-250A. Additionally, the welder is highly compact and portable (34 pounds).
Yeswelder Pro 250 Pros
• Medium budget MIG welder (Under USD 500 by using our coupon code “Workshopinsider” to get a 10% discount).
• Multi-functions, MIG synergistic.
• Lift TIG.
• Enormous power paired with a good duty cycle.
• 1-year warranty.
Yeswelder Pro 250 Cons
• Chinese made.
• It is not compatible with a spool gun.
Our final verdict
Hobart IronMan 240 MIG welder is designed, assembled, and supported in the USA. The welder is designed for professional welders working on maintenance, construction, and manufacturing projects. At the same time, it is relatively easy for a hobbyist and small fabricators to handle.
We recommend Hobart IronMan 240 welder for welders looking for a heavy-duty welding machine while maintaining quality and the highest level of precision and accuracy. We have reviewed this welder and provided sufficient details, tips, and tricks to help you make a wise decision.
Although this welder is on the higher side of the prices range, if you put in some hard work, you may recover your investment within a short time.